Our South Africa in 10 Days tour is an exciting fusion of city, safari and wine with a touch of history and culture. We have carefully structured this 10-day trip to give visitors to South Africa an all-embracing and insightful experience of this amazing country and its remarkable diversity.
Over the 10 days in South Africa we incorporate Johannesburg, Cape Town, the Cape Winelands and one of South Africa’s premier private game reserves, the Timbavati Nature Reserve (adjacent to Kruger Park) for a once in a lifetime safari.
This itinerary can be extended, shortened or done in reverse.
Please contact us to discuss your requirements.
Itinerary at a Glance
* 2 Nights The Peech Hotel - Johannesburg
We explore the rich history of Southern Africa’s Gateway city, including Soweto the former home of Nelson Mandela
* 3 Night at Thabamati Luxury Tented Camp - Timbavati Nature Reserve (Kruger National Park region)
Enjoy a top-quality safari at a flagship private game reserve adjoining Kruger Park
* 1 Night at Franschhoek Country House - Franschhoek, Cape Winelands
Enjoy a full-day private guided tour in the picturesque South African wine country
* 3 Nights Cloud Nine Boutique Hotel - Cape Town
Enjoy private guided touring in and around South Africa’s mother city
Day 01 - Arrive in Johannesburg, South Africa
On arrival at OR Tambo International Airport, Johannesburg you proceed through customs and passport control to the luggage collection area and the arrivals hall. You will then be met by your private guide who will transfer you to The Peech Hotel where you will spend 02 nights on a bed and breakfast basis.
Day 02 - Full Day Tour of Johannesburg, Soweto & Apartheids Museum
After breakfast you will be collected a full day to experience South Africa’s commercial and financial capital - Johannesburg - the City of Gold, known amongst locals as Egoli, Jozi or Jo’burg.
Your tour route covers all the major points of interest, from Sandton in the north to Soweto in the south:
* the suburbs of Sandton, Rosebank and Houghton (drive past Nelson Mandela’s home)
* Braamfontein, home to the Constitutional Court of South Africa
* the downtown area, City Hall, Diagonal Street, Newtown, Nelson Mandela Bridge
* The Carlton Centre, see the city from the “Top of Africa” enclosed viewing deck on the 50th floor
* Chris Hani Baragwanath Hospital
* Regina Mundi Catholic church
* visit Hector Pieterson Memorial
* Vilakazi Street - Nelson Mandela’s former home and Bishop Desmond Tutu’s home
* lunch stop at a local tavern - optional, can be arranged in advance
* visit the Apartheid Museum
Day 03 - Johannesburg to Thabamati Luxury Tented Camp, Timbavati Nature Reserve
After breakfast you will be transferred to OR Tambo International Airport and board your flight to the Eastgate Airport (near Hoedspruit). On arrival, you will be greeted and transferred by road to the Thabamati Luxury Tented Camp.
You will spend 03 nights at Thabamati Luxury Tented Camp on a full board basis including twice daily game drives.
Day 04 - 05 - At Thabamati Luxury Tented Camp on Safari
Game drives are planned for mornings and evenings as this is the time when the animals are most active. The game drives last for about three hours and include a coffee stop for the morning drive and a sundowner stop in the evening.
Thabamati Luxury Tented Camp is located in a prime concession of the Timbavati Nature Reserve with a fenceless border that flows into the Kruger National Park itself. Known for excellent game viewing including lion, elephant, leopard and much more, it’s a safari destination that will more than likely for the highlight of your 10 days.
Day 06 - Thabamati Luxury Tented Camp to Winelands
After breakfast, you will be transferred to Kruger Mpumalanga International Airport, Nelspruit and board your scheduled flight to Cape Town International Airport. On arrival, you will be met and transferred to Franschhoek. You will spend 01 night at Franschhoek Country House on a bed-and-breakfast basis.
Day 07 - Winelands to Cape Town
This morning after checking out of the guesthouse, you will embark on a privately guided full-day tour of the Cape Winelands, including lunch. This pretty-as-a-picture region of Cape Town is all about grandeur. Elegant Cape Dutch manor houses, lush sweeping valleys, charming villages, and fields of world-class grape vines some of which were first planted hundreds of years ago; all set against a soothing mountain backdrop. The extremely fertile soils of the Cape Winelands, in particular the areas of Stellenbosch, Paarl and Franschhoek, produce a multitude of exceptional white, red and fortified wines which can be found on the shelves of some of the best international wine stores.
Highlights of today’s tour include:
• Stellenbosch – tree lined streets, historical architecture, al fresco cafés and great shopping
• Franschhoek Valley – South Africa’s food and wine heartland surrounded by endless mountain vistas
• Paarl – the ‘pearl of the Cape’ and home of the Afrikaans language
• Cape Dutch architecture – a visit to the exquisite Boschendal Manor House dating to the early 1800s
• Wine tasting at some of the finest Cape Wineland estates
• An informative Wine Cellar Tour
At the end of today’s Winelands tour, you will be taken to your last accommodation for your tour, Cloud Nine Boutique Hotel. You will spend 03 nights here on a bed-and-breakfast basis.
Located under the looming Table Mountain in the cool suburb of Tamboerskloof, Cloud Nine Boutique Hotel is an ideal and central base from which to explore the mother city of Cape Town. Many good restaurants and shops are within walking distance, and within a short drive you can visit great beaches, the V&A Waterfront or Table Mountain itself. The building itself is beautifully renovated and offers a spa, a rooftop bar to capitalise on its excellent location, rooms each with its own individual charm, wifi throughout, plunge pools and more.
Day 08 - Full Day Tour of Cape Peninsula
This morning we set off on a privately guided tour of the Cape Peninsula, including lunch. A visit to Cape Town is incomplete without seeing the stunning Cape Peninsula so African Travel Gateway has put together an exciting day of the best Cape Peninsula highlights including:
• Cape Point and the Cape of Good Hope
• Boulders Beach – the lovable Penguin Colony
• Hout Bay – optional boat trip to see the Seal Colony
• Simon’s Town – the historic South African Naval base on the shores of False Bay
• Fynbos vegetation – part of the Cape Floral Region and a protected World Heritage Site
• A chance to see baboons, bontebok, ostriches, bird life and the Southern Right Whales (seasonal)
• Kirstenbosch Botanical Garden – set against the eastern slopes of Table Mountain
The scenic drive of the breathtaking Cape Peninsula, with its rugged coast, craggy peaks and rich biodiversity, winds its way south from Table Mountain at its northern end to Cape Point and the Cape of Good Hope at its southern tip. Dotted along the way are a host of picturesque seaside towns and villages steeped in maritime history, culture, colourful fishing boats and friendly local characters. Overlooking the sparkling waters of the Atlantic Ocean and False Bay, this is without a doubt one of the world’s most stunning scenic routes.
Day 09 - Half Day Tour of City & Table Mountain
This morning you will join your private guide for an inspiring tour of the city of Cape Town and Table Mountain. Today’s journey explores the ‘Mother City’ of South Africa offering a fascinating mosaic of vistas, history and people.
This morning’s highlights include:
• Table Mountain - travel by cable car to the top of this world-famous summit and enjoy spectacular views of the city (weather dependent)
• City orientation tour
• The Castle of Good Hope – a 17th-century fort and South Africa’s oldest colonial building
• Malay Quarter – Cape Town’s historical centre of Cape Malay culture
• Flower market – this friendly, colourful landmark is a Cape Town institution
• Green Market Square – South Africa’s oldest market
Day 10 - Transfer to Cape Town International Airport
After breakfast, you will be transferred to Cape Town International Airport in time for your flight home (flight home on your own arrangements).
Tour Cost (Quoted in ZAR)
Jan - Mar 2023
R66,320 per person sharing x 02 adults
Apr - May 2023
R66,005 per person sharing x 02 adults
Jun - Aug 2023
R65,890 per person sharing x 02 adults
Sep - Dec 2023
R65,980 per person sharing x 02 adults
Jan - Mar 2024
R76,285 per person sharing x 02 adults
Apr - May 2024
R77,580 per person sharing x 02 adults
Jun - Aug 2024
R77,903 per person sharing x 02 adults
Sep - Dec 2024
R77,975 per person sharing x 02 adults
02 nights accommodation on a bed and breakfast basis (The Peech Hotel)
03 nights accommodation on a full board basis (all meals, teas, coffees, and snacks) including twice daily game drives, conservation levy, The services of a professional ranger and camp staff (Thabamati Luxury Tented Camp)
01 night accommodation on a bed and breakfast basis (Franschhoek Country House)
03 nights accommodation on a bed and breakfast basis (Cloud Nine Boutique Hotel)
All road transfers as per itinerary
Full-day private Johannesburg City, Soweto and apartheids museum tour, entrance fees included for Carlton Centre, Hector Pieterson Memorial, Regina Mundi & Apartheid Museum
Full-day private Winelands tour including standard lunch, including entrance fees
Full-day private peninsula scenic tour including standard lunch, including entrance fees
Half-day private city and Table Mountain tour
Tourism levy of 1 %
Johannesburg to Hoedspruit (Eastgate) one way including taxes (Economy Class)
Hoedspruit (Eastgate) to Cape Town one way including taxes (Economy Class)